People are having a devastating impact on the planet….
We take our environmental responsibilities very seriously as our mission is to help conserve species and habitats to achieve a world rich in wildlife and wild places. Environmental damage such as habitat destruction and pollution are causing devastating affects which ultimately is leading to the extinction of many animals. At the present rate, over 10,000 species could disappear by the year 2050, forever! So we take our responsibilities very seriously and hope to inspire and empower our visitors by our actions.
Wild Planet Trust employs dedicated Environmental Officers at both Newquay Zoo and Paignton Zoo who are currently working towards gaining ISO 14001 accreditation, the international standard for Environmental Management Systems.
What do we do?
At Newquay Zoo we recognise the negative impact which businesses have upon the environment, particularly in regards to wildlife and the ultimate effect upon animal habitats. As a conservation, education and research charity we are passionate about conserving species and habitats, so highlighting these environmental issues and undertaking measures to reduce our impact is something which we continuously strive to achieve. We also aim to inspire and empower others through our actions, to help in the fight to protect wildlife.
- Internally we have undertaken the following measures:
- We re-use and recycle as much as possible, including batteries, electrical equipment or even off-cuts of wood.
- Replaced Incandescent lighting with low energy fluorescent lighting.
- Installed occupancy sensors in the toilets and staff offices across site
- Installed solar panels in Café Lemur to heat water and on Monkey Walk to generate the buildings electricity, this has seen an average reduction in energy usage of 30%.
- Only selling products that contain sustainable palm oil from accredited sources.
- Removing and reducing unnecessary packaging.
- Replacing plastic sweet wrappers in our gift shop with biodegradable alternatives.
The mission to become sustainable doesn’t stop there as we are always looking to find other ways in which we can reduce our environmental impact.