2023 Seasonal Staff
Closing date: 31/03/2023
- Salary/Rate per hour: Age-related pay
- Full-time/Part-time: Part-time
- Seasonal/fixed term/permanent: Fixed term
Wild Planet Trust is a registered education, scientific and conservation charity established in 1957 and based in Devon, UK. We own two zoos in South West England, plus two local nature reserves and a National Nature Reserve. We support conservation in the United Kingdom and overseas using funds generated by the people who visit our zoos and the expertise and dedication of our staff.
Newquay Zoo first opened its doors as a council-run attraction in the 1950s. Over 50 years later, our site, and work, has grown considerably and we are now one of Cornwall’s most popular tourist attractions and a leading conservation and education centre. There are over 120 species of animal that call Newquay Zoo home.
We have an exciting opportunity for seasonal staff to join our visitor facing teams on a fixed term contract for 2023 season. Hours will be variable to meet the demands of the business and our opening times, working hours will vary over a 7 day rota, including weekends and bank holidays. The pay for these positions is age related.
What will this role involve?
You’ll play a key role in the overall experience of our guests. You’ll be the face of the Wild Planet Trust for every guest that walks through our door and meets you as they explore the zoo. If you are a friendly, outgoing person who enjoys meeting people and working in an amazing environment this could be the perfect opportunity for you. We have a number of different roles available:
- Catering Assistants – there are a range of roles available where duties can include food production, serving food and drink, using the till, washing up, cleaning and clearing kitchen areas, helping to unload deliveries, cleaning tables, sweeping and mopping the floor and the daily running of the catering outlets to ensure a smooth and efficient service.
- Visitor Experience Assistants – these roles involve selling day tickets, promoting gift aid, Animal Experiences and Memberships. You will be welcoming our visitors and dealing with their queries. A first aid certificate or a willingness to train would be an advantage, as posts may involve providing first aid to visitors.
When completing your application please state your preferred role(s), but if you are happy to work within any role please let us know as well!
What skills and experience are required?
We are looking for confident and enthusiastic people, who can engage with our guests and promote our conservation work. Our ideal team members will have a positive attitude, strong work-ethic, enjoy working with people and are passionate about delivering the highest standard of visitor experience. Candidates should have a great eye for detail and an understanding of what an amazing visitor experience looks like. Experience of working in a similar environment preferred but not essential as full training will be given.
Benefits of joining our team include:
- 33 days paid holiday pro-rata (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Company sick pay
- Branded uniform provided (as required)
- Relevant internal and external training provided
- Free entry to our zoos for staff and immediate family
- Complimentary tickets
- Discounts in our Catering and Retail outlets (as applicable)
- Free staff parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to Headspace Premium App
Please note, we will be reviewing applications and conducting interviews throughout the advertising period for this role. The role may therefore be filled prior to the closing date. We would encourage you to submit your application form as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application by email within 4 weeks of submitting their application. We are only able to provide individual feedback to those candidates who are successful through to the interview stage.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.