Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteers
Do you have a passion for animals?
Are you looking to gain more experience working with animals?
If so, a Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteer role may be just the right voluntary role for you!
Voluntary Worker Placement
Volunteer roles normally focus on one of our animal sections, where the main role of the placements is to attend to the husbandry requirements of the animal collection, as directed by the Senior Keeper in charge.
Voluntary opportunities for Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteers usually last for a period of 6 months (including a one-month evaluation period) working within specific sections of our animal department - primate, bird, hoof stock, carnivore and Tropical House.
Newquay Zoo is open every day and Voluntary Worker Placements Volunteers are full time i.e. a five day working week including some weekends.
Please note: All Voluntary Worker Placements are purely voluntary, and as such, Newquay Zoo does not provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to register their interest and being accepted as a volunteer for these opportunities. To ensure that Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteers are provided with valuable experience; a training agreement will be completed and reviewed regularly and a training record will be provided upon completion of the placement.
Details of our Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteer roles with opportunities available are shown at the bottom of this page (only when we have opportunities available) We are unable to accept registrations of interest when we do not have opportunities available.
Objectives of our Voluntary Worker Placements
To gain experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department.
- To apply own personal skills and take ownership of a series of tasks and/or a research project.
- To reflect on training and experience throughout the placement. Anticipated tasks/training provided
- Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision, enclosure modification etc.
- Observations of animals and recording of relevant information.
- Training in basic research methods.
- Visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner.
- Assisting with student supervision at the direction of the senior keeper.
- Training in animal-management related computer software.
- Training in all aspects of the company’s code of practise. Skills Required
- A qualification or enrolment on an animal science related discipline would be desirable.
- Previous animal-related work experience or volunteering.
- Good communication skills.
- Adaptable to different working environments.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Physically fit for the demands of the post.
To register your interest for a Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteer role please follow the instructions shown at the bottom of the Voluntary Worker Placement Volunteer role descriptions, only shown below when available.
You may also be interested in our volunteer roles for those people who are able to support the Zoo every week on a regular duty day; supporting our charitable organisation and staff in helping our visitors enjoy their day and providing excellent customer service whilst, amongst many other things, learning new skills, meeting new people and passing on their knowledge and experience. Please view our Volunteer and Volunteer Roles pages, showing full details of volunteering with us and the volunteer roles with opportunities available at present.
VOLUNTARY WORKER PLACEMENT VOLUNTEER ROLES WHICH HAVE OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE AT NEWQUAY ZOO AT PRESENT:
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW!
If you'd like to stay informed of new products, events and special offers then please join our mailing lists.